ST. MARY'S ASSUMPTION
Built in 1858 in the style of the German Baroque, attributed to architect, Albert Diettel, but unverified, this National Historic Landmark was badly damaged by Hurricane Betsy in 1965. For years, its elaborate decorative plasterwork suffered continuing moisture damage and remained unseen by worshippers.
A comprehensive restoration was undertaken by Koch and Wilson Architects working in association with Nolan, Norman, and Nolan Architects.
Building archaeologists were engaged to determine original interior colors and this work revealed the richly decorative paint scheme of the altar and sanctuary. Koch and Wilson has continued to work with the church administration to restore the altars and to make various improvements to the church through out the years including the complete restoration of the bell tower, bells and clock. Currently, the Firm is working on a parterre reception garden adjacent to the Church.