THE HISTORIC NEW ORLEANS COLLECTION
(521 TCHOUPITOULAS ST )
These three four-story brick stores were built in 1844 by James Gallier, and by 1981 were badly deteriorated and near collapse. Phase one involved the exterior restoration of the entire 46,000 square foot complex, including the roof. Because of failed footings and badly leaning walls, more than half of the exterior had to be carefully taken down and reconstructed on improved footings. Conceived as an expanded storage facility and conservation laboratory for the Historic New Orleans Collection, the second floor is entirely occupied by the Collection. Humidity and temperature are controlled by special mechanical systems and a Halon 1301 fire- suppression-system protects the important contents of the various storage and conservation spaces. Future phases included tenant work on the first, third and fourth floors.