HERMANN - GRIMA HOUSE MUSEUM
Erected in 1831 for Samuel Hermann by architect/builder William Brand. Felix Grima, a notary public, attorney, and judge purchased the house in 1844, it was owned by the Grima family until 1921. When first acquired by the Christian Woman's Exchange in 1924, the Hermann-Grima House was operated as a rooming house for working women. The need for such accommodations faded and the decision was made to restore the house and open it as a house museum.
Koch and Wilson Architects was commissioned to perform restoration services, collaborating with archaeologists and decorators to effect many period improvements. The entire exterior of the house and service building were restored to their original period of construction. Much of the interior has been restored, including the first floor of the main house and the rear service building with its working kitchen, brick oven, potagers, and a washroom. Koch and Wilson continues to provide consultation for this important building that has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Most recently, the main house was air conditioned using a split-package system, concealing the "suitcase" units in "period inspired" wooden cabinets.